TO THE MOON...& BACK
Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 7:00pm
El Segundo Performing Arts Center (640 S. Main) - FREE ADMISSION
On July 20, 2019, the El Segundo Concert Band will commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing with a special tribute concert. The celebration will blast off at 7:00pm, 50 years to the day. Don’t moonwalk…run, to make sure you don’t miss this full moon spectacular, packed with fanfares, ballads, famous standards and fan favorite film music.
- Music from E.T., by John Williams
- Star Trek Into the Deep, by Michael Giacchino
- Moon River, by Henry Mancini
- Blue Moon, by Rodgers and Hart
- Moonlight Sonata, by Ludwig van Beethoven
- Music from Apollo 13, by James Horner
- Sea of Tranquility, by Robert Buckley
- 12 Seconds to the Moon, by Robert W. Smith
- As the Moon Whispers, by Benjamin Yeo
- God Bless America
- & a few surprises from the Segundo Saxes
A BRIEF HISTORY OF JAZZ
Featuring the Segundo Sax Quartet
Sunday, July 7, 2019 - 3:00pm - FREE ADMISSION
El Segundo Woman's Club (541 Standard, El Segundo)
The Segundo Saxes will perform this new concert of great jazz selections, highlighting several eras of jazz: Blues, Ragtime, Swing, Be Bop & West Coast Cool.
- Maple Leaf Rag
- St. Louis Blues
- Take the A Train
- Pink Panther
Musical selections include:
- The Raiders March (from the Indiana Jones film series), by John Williams
- Selections from Aladdin, by Alan Menken
- Olympic Fanfare and Theme, by John Williams
- Festive Overture, by Dmitri Shostakovich
- Second Suite in F (Mvmt 1 and 4), Gustav Holst
- Music from Gettysburg, by Randy Edelman
- Irish Tune from County Derry, by Percy Grainger
- Into the Raging River, by Steven Reineke
- Galop, by Dmitri Shostakovich
- …and a few surprises!
20TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT
Sunday, May 12, 2019 - 7:00pm
El Segundo Performing Arts Center (640 S. Main)
Give the gift of music to your Mother this Mother’s Day by joining the El Segundo Concert Band (ESCB) as they celebrate their 20th Anniversary. For 20 years ESCB, and its parent company the South Bay Music Association, have provided free concerts and high quality music education to the El Segundo community, entertaining and educating thousands. Join Maestro Steven Allen Fox, special guest ESUSD Superintendent Dr. Melissa Moore, former ESCB alumni, and other community leaders, in this special celebration of great music.
In addition, this will be the going-away tribute to Edie and Mike Rice, two pillars of the El Segundo community. The Rices have been an integral part of ESCB and SBMA since it’s inception, as well as all levels of instrumental band music in the El Segundo School District. Come help say goodbye to the Rices as everyone celebrates 20 years of music in El Segundo.
THE STORIES MUSIC TELL
Music can express an emotion, excite us with joy and laughter, or take us through incredible stories of wonder. “The Stories Music Tell” will present a selection of programmatic music that was written specifically to tell a story, portray an event or express a feeling. You will be swept away by the sounds and stories created by the El Segundo Concert Band. This extraordinary, free, family-friendly concert will take listeners on the journeys within the music.
Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 7:00pm - El Segundo Performing Arts Center (640 S. Main)
Musical selections include:
- Symphonie Fantastique: March to the Scaffold & Dream of a Witch’s Sabbath, by Berlioz
- Romeo and Juliet, by Tchaikowsky
- An American in Paris, by Gershwin
- Hoe Down, by Copland
- William Tell Overture, by Rossini
- Sheherazade, by Rimsky-Korsakov
Just for Laughs Concert presented by South Bay Music Association and played by the El Segundo Concert Band under the direction of Steve Allen Fox, delighted the audience with humor and music July 21st, at the ESHS Performing Arts Center. Other Symposium groups also entertained under the direction of Edie Rice.
Thank you to those who donated at the free concert to this worthy cause of keeping the music playing in our schools and community, including a generous gift from the Masonic Lodge. If you were unable to attend you can see the concert on ESTV YouTube channel in about two weeks. Thank you to ESTV for joining us at the concert.
Bravo to the jazz band formed by the Symposium students after playing together for just two weeks under the direction of Robert Soto.
And we thank the merchants, Stuft Pizza, Britts Bar-B-Que, and Coldstone Ice Cream for joining us outdoors to enhance our picnic and dining atmospere.
Also, congratulations to the El Segundo's Funniest Home Videos Contest winners, The Kingsley Family.
A Legendary Concert of Heroic Proportions!
Audience Members praised the extraordinary free concert provided by the El Segundo Concert Band on Sat. March 3rd with the music of Carmina Burana concluding the concert in all of it's musical intensity and glory. The Master Composers would be proud of the entire performance which will be posted on YouTube within the next few weeks to be enjoyed for many years to come.